3rd Pillar in error

Dear all,

I'm looking for some advice here from someone who might have an idea.

I started a 3rd pillar for my (non-employed) wife about a year ago, up to the usual maximum allowed for the year.

A friend of mine told me in passing that this wasn't allowed when in that period she wasn't employed.

So I ask Postfinance about withdrawal of the funds and as I suspected, they only have the usual options for this rationale (leaving the country, divorce etc).

As I know I have to declare it in my upcoming Tax statement, but that it's not (what, legal, appropriate I don't know) correct, I'm not sure what to do.

I asked Postfinance again for advice, but I don't hold out much hope, so I thought I'd ask the groups advice - any tips on withdrawing these funds, or any other approach that might fit?

thanks in advance

Talk with your local tax office (they are usually quite helpful). With some luck you get a statement she was not eligible to pay into it. With the statement you should be able to withdraw the funds. Usually they do so after you submitted the tax full return.

At least they do when you transfer more then the annual max.

That makes sense, and yes, now you mention it they've always been very helpful at the tax office.

Appreciated.

So, for completeness of thread.

As per aSwissInTheUS; I contacted the tax authority and within an hour had confirmed the approach as was suggested, that I should submit these payments in my declaration and they will send me a notification that this is not appropriate.

Then I can take this to my bank and be reimbursed after the declaration has been completed.

As an aside, I feel better that I have this in writing and it's not just assumed...

thanks for the help!

cheers.

False request, you don't want a withdrawal. You want a reversal, a cancellation of sorts.

Well, that was my use of the term. Regardless, PF were pretty useless.

Why can unemployed people not have 3rd pillar??

I assume it’s to do with taxes - you don’t get a break if you’re not contributing in AHV. Someone could correct me if I’m wrong.

But yeah, I had no idea myself until i talked to a friend who is interested in this area (I am not).

https://finpension.ch/en/who-is-enti…he-3rd-pillar/

If you are unemployed you have nothing to deduct against and when you withdraw, you will pay tax on it as it is assumed a tax free amount. It's not that it's not legal I think, just makes no sense.

that's not true as you can have non-employment income, rental income, dividend income, interest income etc.

but rules are rules. no job no 3a. self-employed also have different 3a limits.

Is unemployment the same as non-employment?

I read OP as the wife not working at all, that she's not part of the workforce hence can't be unemployed therefore no individual income to deduct 3a from.