AI: What your company's regulations and guidelines for using it?

As we enter the age of AI, what regulations and guidelines has your company put in place? It seems each organisation is reacting differently despite the risk of public disclosure. My company has barely broached the subject.

We looked into AI as an assistant in our work. We found it to be essentially ****ing useless.

Mind you, the other day when I had some leeks and had cooked a curry, it came up with a good veggie recipe.

Good to hear but that assessment may change within a few months. I've found the younger generation is very curious about AI and is not afraid to use it for time -saving purposes.

We paid for early access to copilot - it's amazing.

Only rule is to not input customer data into AI.

My company has blocked access to ChatGPT.

It's a shame because I find it amazingly helpful and have to have my personal laptop set up next to me on the desk when I want to access it

None.

Tom

The older generation aren't afraid to use it either.

It's utilitity depends very much on the knowledge domain. For technical work it's pretty random. Sometimes it gets the right answer - and saves you time - more often it comes up with some total nonsense and you waste time discovering it's wrong. When you tell it it's wrong, it then apologises and gives another random answer.

During an open book exam, my daughter tried to use it for a problem in R. It was useless. Interestingly her fellow students just stuck with chatgpt and tried different ways of getting the answer and still failed to get anywhere. My daughter instead when to an R forum and found the answer quite easily. You can't rely on AI. That may change in the future, but there are major challenges.

We use copilot and ChatGPT is not banned. I personally find MSFT Copilot absolutely amazing in creating 90% of a draft of a PowerPoint, memo, mail. Tried using it for a proper PowerPoint slides development, still not what I expected, but I guess its a learning curve (I tried "proofread the PowerPoint that is now open" and it just came with a bunch of suggestions how to check for spelling errors).

I personally see it as a tremendously powerful tool if one knows what one is doing. The risk is that people start relying on it withouot trying to research themselves and proof-read for sanity, not necessarily for grammar.

My older son had a presentation to prepare for Sekundarschule and apparently they talked about AI amongst themselves and I explicitly banned ChatGPT from the websites he can access. I personally prefer he struggles now and develops a way to navigate through data, form opinions, etc and only then use AI.

Interestingly enough, the very first thing I did with ChatGPT in the summer when I started using it ,was to tell (him/her/it?!?) what I have in the fridge and what recipes it can come up with. It's not bad at all actually. Admittedly, not really AI though, rather that data-mining and word-matching, but its still useful

Had an interesting debate with a teacher about striking a balance here...

Her view was that it's a struggle between preparing the next generation to use the tools they will have, vs build their own skills. Most schools now teach kids how to research online, how to filter between good and bad sources, etc... but also how to do a good google search (including exclusions and mandatory inclusions, etc)

That said, it wasn't that long ago that I was not allowed to use "the internet" as a source for research when I was in school - as it was not considered trustworthy... then it became "too easy, and you need to learn to use the library filing system". I don't think I have ever used the library filing system after high school...

It's an interesting debate between teaching kids to properly leverage AI to build their future, vs teaching them to think independently...

Personally, I would like to see more schools teaching ML and AI, but at a development level. I.e. how to build the systems. I already see books for 3-5 year olds on introductions to coding; heck, I bought a "computer science for toddlers" book just the other week...

I agree, the idea is to strike the right balance and I am personally quite relaxed that the Swiss will strike the right balance as with regards to schooling they usually do.

However, before they do that, I personally prefer to limit his options and force him to struggle now. Struggle in training, fly on the field is what my coach used to tell me as a teen, I think it applies to learning and school too.