Big Brother is watching you

TBH, algorithms are not refined enough to make any conclusion.

I never bothered to change FB from English to Spanish while I mostly post in Spanish. Then, I use work computer in French (Windows) and Swiss French keyboard layout, while I have my I have my personal laptop in Spanish for Windows and Spanish keyboard layout. Smart phone and google is in English. I feel sorry for the people trying to get something out of this.

My internet searches about the health conditions of parents and MIL, plus the interest in 1950s cars confuse the ā€œalgorithmā€ and supply me with an endless deliver of drug ads, and somehow tinnitus remedies. Maybe, because the ā€œalgorithmā€ looks at my youtube listening story of metal of all kinds :slight_smile:

Once I looked for a gift for my then 5 YO niece and it was like half a year of children toys. Then, I buy bycicle parts and the ā€œalgorithmā€ infers that if I bought a bike frame I will buy another one within 2 weeks or so. Someone needs to teach the ā€œalgorithmā€ the concept of durable goods.

I don’t remember ever being delivered an ad that really makes think they’re reading my mind.

1 Like

When I first set up a facebook account, i set my age to the earliest year it would go. That made me 104 years old, if i remember correctly. I was bombarded with ads for incontinence pads, those electric armchairs that’ll chuck you across the room if you’re not careful, stairlifts etc etc. I found it amusing, but now i really hate Facebook. And Instagram.

Try Googling what to do for erectile dysfunction, now I know that there are some very strange products out there.

I should not have written that because NOW amma gonna be a target.

naaaa, we’re all family here and the longer we’ve been on EF before, the older we are now. :rofl:

Where do you folks see all these adverts then? On Facebook?
I never see adverts. Except if I watch a tv-program and zattoo using the trick to start recording a while before the program so I have to fast forward (and after as well but why would I bother with that) and channels like arte don’t annoy me with add-breaks in the middle of programs.

I don’t think I protected myself all that extremly apart from firefox and setting it to tell everbody to fuck off where it offers to do so, duckduckgo for searching, ghostery (to tell those to fuck off whom firefox forgot to). That’s about it. No adverts in my living room.
But no facebook, no instagram, no tiktok … is that the trick?

1 Like

sure, also don’t lock the doors when leaving home, what’s your problem :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

you’re only assuming that you have nothing to hide, because you don’t have any idea how the bad guys can use the ā€œnothing to hideā€ data

2 Likes

PS. that’s aggressively changing now, FF is already a meme of privacy but still remains the default browser on most Linux distributions, what an irony

RIP act allows the government to throw you in jail indefinitely until you give up your passwords.

I guess, people like to be subjects again rather than citizens.

1 Like

What’s that supposed to mean? A bit more than just a meaningless punchline would be great.

Do you mean the data-collecting part that was implemented in the settings with version 128? It can all be turned off. A tiny bit of activity is not too much to ask.
Mine is not even allowed to ā€œhelpā€ Firefox and send out data.

For those who think I’m a parasite: I donated last year. To Thunderbird as well. I still prefer to support their work with money than with info.

Wow, ist that only for Brits or anybody on it’s premises?
well, I guess calling it RIP was not a coincidence but the famous British humour. Rest In Peace dataprotection.

1 Like

Sichuan, you still haven’t told me on the other thread (shutters down on Windows) what you do for firewall/protection on your Kubuntu.

sorry, the forum didn’t ping me

awww but I used @sichuan.
Well, now that you know I asked could you go over there and answer?
I’m (half)patiently waiting over there :woman_in_lotus_position:

That’s the problem, it shouldn’t be there at all, certainly not silently added, turned ON by default. Most people won’t know about it. Anyway, this recent commit speak for itself about Mozilla direction. I’m glad that there’s always someone in the community watching the changes

Looks like we will have to go back to using pigeons

Yeah, you got a point. But I check my settings each time I install FF or if there is an update.
Guess I’m just too used to look after myself.

Expect the complaints about birdshit everywhere in one thread and questions about how to avoid it in an other and about how to remove them in the third.
Plus the noise of wing beating because we chatter all night (and we expect the same speed, right?)

Stalked? By who? A serial killer?

Stalking is a serious criminal problem and should not be taken lightly.
https://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/police-forces/gloucestershire-constabulary/areas/gloucestershire/campaigns/campaigns/2023/stalking2/stalking/how-to-spot-stalking/

you should read posts before you reply to them. It’s all in there.