Dumb phone for kids

TBH, there’s no big difference between ‘++’, ciao or tschüss.

Let me remind you of the SMS hype 20+ years ago, before Apple introduced the smartphone. Those were all typed on that awful 12-key “board”, and surprisingly fast with only little routine.

@curley english has the same, ++ translates to cul8r

1 Like

You are not. They write to each other.

Absolutely, I was really fast with just the thumb. On the smart phones there is nothing but hitting the wrong keys.
Guess that’s why they invented the feature that finishes your words - which makes it even worse if people don’t check before they send :rofl:
I miss the old ones

?

Well, we’re talking (semi-)dumb phones.

I have never seen ++ used for see you later in English.

1 Like

Why would you Á plus or A+ or ++ derive from French.

Common text slang for “see you later” includes:
• CU or C U – Short for “see you”
• CUL8R – “See you later” with numbers replacing sounds
• CYL – “Catch you later”
• TTYL – “Talk to you later”
• L8R – Just “later”
• G2G – “Got to go”, often implying you’ll chat again later

As ex-law enforcement, one thing is true : “Trust is good, control is better”. :wink:

Having said that, I feel with kids, the battle is more psychological than technical. Kids are often more crafty, creative and resourceful than you think, and they are quick to pool the hacks they discover.

For example, you can put parental controls on devices and networks, but that isn’t much good if they get hold of a SIM-card and a cheap rogue device. Or the neighbours kid shares their wifi password…and so on.

My strategy will be supervised screen / phone time with transparent supervision, with increasing respect for privacy proportional to maturity. Compliance will be rewarded, breaches will have consequences.

Exactly so I’m not sure why Roxi said it’s used in English because it isn’t.

It’s really sad to see that you don’t even understand the simplest of sentences. Remember to educate yourself on the meaning of translate.

If people wrote easily comprehensible sentences and not ambiguous rubbish then there wouldn’t be an issue.

I am fully aware of the multiple meanings of translate thank you very much, maybe you should refresh your memory of them.

For a rational and at least somewhat intelligent person, ambiguity should be all the more reason to apply caution - the exact opposite of what you do (zero surprises on this front). Or to simply ask for clarification on what you fail to understand.

But apparently you deem that below you.

Either way, the cactus is yours.

No it doesn’t. ++ translates to see you later in the French system (apparently)
cul8r translates to see you later in the English system (according to you)
English doesn’t have the ++ version. The + is what we were on about.

Symbols linked to some meaning or idea.

Currently, there’s an alphabet, emojis/hieroglyphs and whatever ‘++’ is. Around here, we’re fluent in more than 1 language. It’s a bit weird to question why X people use Y word for Z concept. It is the same as telling “how am I support to understand hoi means hi?”. People use it, our choice is to use it or not use it, no more.

because hoi is a Swiss word - when used in a Swiss German conversation it’s perfectly normal to use it.

So what your saying ( :smiley:) is I’m just an uneducated fool if I haven’t learnt the youngsters French-handy-language.
Yeah, maybe you’re right. Probably the lack of usage in my case.

Not uneducated. Only not considerate enough to other cultures. Whatever people use to communicate is legit.

Asking my chum, ChatGPT, if he has any input on the matter and it seems it does exist in English messaging but none of it means “see you later”. Actually, the “positivity” thing makes more sense when you think about it:

  • Positivity / Agreement / Approval
    It often means “I agree” or “positive vibes” — kind of like a thumbs-up or saying “yes, definitely!”
  • Example:
    Person A: “That movie was amazing.”
    Person B: “++”
    (Meaning: “I agree.”)
  • Emphasis or Intensity
    Sometimes, it’s used to intensify something, like saying “super” or “very.”
  • Example: “Happy++” = very happy.
  • Tech or Programming Influence
    Borrowed from programming (like in C++, where ++ means increment), it can suggest an upgrade, improvement, or a next level.
  • Example: “This is love++” might mean “This is more than just love” or “love leveled up.”
  • Sign-off / Signature (less common)
    Some people use “++” as a sign-off in messages, similar to “xx” (kisses) or a way to say “take care” or “cheers.”

Having said all that, txtspk makes my teeth itch with irritation.

++ translates to cul8r

“à plus tard” translates to “see you later”

1 Like

LOL. I never said it was not legit, I said exactly: “t’s a whole new language, how am I supposed to understand this see you later??” which could be translated to (to stay with the term): “Don’t be surprised if I don’t understand it”.

oh goody, does he/she/it do a lot of texting? LOL.
It’s reply/analysis makes more sense to me too, your ChatGPT must be about the same age as us. :nerd_face:

Anyway, did this txtspk not start when sms were limited to a certain amount of letters and they cost money to send? On the other hand I know me and my friends had secret/self invented languages. So parent-aged people should not even learn about this. Bad enough they buy them dumb phones :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

reminds me of the mum who replied LOL to a message announcing a death. “why did you write that?!” asks her daughter. It turns out she thought it meant “lots of love”. “Oh. I need to write back to a few people”

4 Likes