How about a gardening thread

Went to Schwitter and picked up some berry plants which I put in the ground yesterday. Anybody have luck growing (AND harvesting) raspberries and blueberries in Switzerland?

The lawn needs mowing, but it’s still too wet. It’s about ½ grass, ⅛ flowering ground cover (thanks to the balcony planters from the neighbors upstairs), ⅛ moss and ¼ weeds. After the first mow, I plan to fertilize the lawn, and I hope that will help the grass.

Blueberries were great but they need ericaceous (acid) soil. I just dug a couple of bags of ericaceous compost into the soil.
You also need two different cultivars for cross polination. I had Goldtraube and Blue crop.

I had no luck with raspberries. I tried both summer and Autumn varieties but got a meagre crop and then the plants died - twice.
A gooseberry dies in the same place.

Maybe they didn’t get enough sun but two nearby grape vines are doing well.

1 Like

Contrary to Tom I’ve had great success with raspberries, they grow like weeds here, but have had mixed results with blueberries.
Blackcurrants do well here too.

We’ve already mown the grass a couple of times as it was growing like crazy and it’s not too wet here.

Yep, lucky with both, but mine are in giant pots. Blueberries need a different soil to raspberries, it is called Moorbeeterde in German.

Raspies also love it when you put grass cuttings around their stems, and don’t bother them too much, apart from tying up the shoots.

I also grow Tayberries, ( planted out into the soil) they are a cross between raspies and blackberries, quite tart , but very flavorsome. And they are very hardy! Recommendable!

We’ve been sitting in shorts in the sun, painting wicker chairs blue, and surrounded by blooming clouds of fruit trees…unfortunately, they say it will snow tomorrow!

1 Like

I mowed the grass for the first time this week, but didn’t rake. Next time I’ll put the clippings around the raspberries. Thanks for the hint!

1 Like

Over the past few sunny days I tended to the garden, my little orchard and allotment.
I’ve still a few winter veggies growing in some of the beds, and am already giddily planning this year’s crop and what will go where.

Gardening is therapy😍

1 Like

Never seen the lilacs bloom at the same time as the wisteria and tulips and narcissus blooming together, too. Wild spring. The pear trees are white clouds, but it will all come crashing down on Monday, with snow expected for 3 days. My dear neighbour has ceramic pigs, which move around every few days. They peek out from bushes, perch on the front steps, and today they were enjoying a dish of water.
IMG_1236

@Tasebo the peony you sent to me all those years ago is still performing beautifully, there are loads of buds on both plants I managed to grow from the tubers you sent me.

2 Likes

Now waiting for the Hibiscus to start.

1 Like

I have a question rather than a picture. We’ve just bought and it looks like the previous owner really, really, really loved Virginia Creeper.

I don’t. I also know it doesn’t really like being culled and will do all it can to carry on enjoying its location.

Do any of you by chance have any suggestions as to how to persuade it to leave (aka kill it for once and for all)?

2 Likes

I second the dreaded glyphosate method. I keep a stash of the ultra-strong stuff for just these jobs. Apply full-strength. It works. I dread the day the EU bans it, but they seem to have actually read the scientific literature about it, rather than listening to the ridiculous jury-trial awards.

1 Like

Thank you! Glyphosate to the stump/roots it is.

Today I have the door to the terrace open from our bedroom, and sitting on the bed, I catch a whiff of lilac now and again. I have a mini lilac tree and it’s in full bloom.

I wish they bloomed all year.

3 Likes

I have three huge trees, and some sides are not visible from the house, so I cut vases full of those…if you smash the stems, they last 2 days, but not more. The perfume from my picotee-edged one is lovely. They are that more precious because they don’t bloom long, but the week of snow seems to have slowed them down. Now the iridescent green beetles will come for the flower bracts. They eat them from the inside out.

2 Likes

Weird…we have large brown ugly cock chafers (Maikäfer, or Melalontha) and iridescent green rose chafers (Rosenkäfer, or Cetoniinai) at the same time! Usually they hatch about a month apart; then come the June bugs. Ugh. One year the hatch was so bad there were June bugs squished all over the roads.