How to become a secondary school teacher ...

for someone with UK Degree in Linguistics, and now Swiss (dual UK/CH). What would the process be to become a secondary school (not private) English teacher. Anyone been through the process? (in NE- and yes, aware there are probably C/Kantonal differences).

I don't know the requirements but just wanted to add that there is also the option of being an English teacher off-curriculum in secondary schools. By which I mean some schools offer Cambridge certificate courses. In my son's school, the teacher was a native speaker and had the sole duty of getting (mostly mother-tongue English) kids through the Cambridge system.

My son did Cambridge certs in tandem with the standard curriculum English but with different teachers.

Asking for a friend btw. I am very happily retired.

In the UK she could do a 1 year PGCE - but wondering what the process would be here in CH.

Is the person proficient in French or German? Many public schools are now recruiting teachers even in the absence of formal teaching credentials. You can find all available teaching positions in Neuchâtel by visiting the following link:

Submitting an application might be a straightforward way for them to pursue employment opportunities. Additionally, the Pädagogosche Fachhochschule in Bern provides courses for individuals working as teachers without a teaching degree, primarily online. They are called “Einführung für Unterrichtende ohne Lehrdiplom”…elgruppen%3A54

If the person is fluent in German, they could consider enrolling in these courses. It’s worth exploring whether HEP BEJUNE in Bienne offers similar courses in French.

It might be easier to initially find role as a substitute teacher, covering for instances such as maternity leave or sickness. Once they have acquired some experience, there’s a possibility that the school may offer a permanent position.

Vacancies for substitute teaching roles in the Canton of Bern can be found here:
Some of them in Bienne are at francophone schools.

I know that there will be an opening at our school at the start of the upcoming year for a candidate to teach computer science, RZG (history/geography/political science), and German. Proficiency in German is essential, a solid understanding of French ideal, as our school is bilingual

Completing a master’s degree in teaching at PH Bern would typically require 4-5 semesters for individuals holding a bachelor’s degree in one of the subjects taught at the secondary school level.…kutiver-master

If their language is a Swiss language, I’m sure they can just do the Swiss version of the PGCE. They might even accept a foreign pgce with the teacher shortage, but if they don’t have one already, better to do the Swiss one.

Thank you so much Carla's mum.

The friend's MT is English, but is fluent in French, not quite perfect fluency but almost. German very limited.

What is the equivalent of the PGCE in Switzerland? Edit - thanks to Carlasmom again now I've read her post.

In my experience, it's a good idea to ask one of the PHs directly. Some are more generous in what they accept than others. I.e. you need to complete these modules, but module x, y and z are already covered by your previous education/work experience/whatever.

Does she have any form of teaching qualification at all?

A CELTA for example.

With the teacher shortages in Switzerland at the moment I believe that with a degree in linguistics and a CELTA she could get a temporary teaching job at least.

She should contact the teacher training centre for NE in La Chaux de Fonds for more info.

It was and maybe still is, a rule that the Cambridge examinations were not open to native speakers. Quite how this can be proved, I don't know!

That's weird. I'm pretty sure all of the kids in my son's group (5-6 of them) had at least one native English-speaker as a parent. At 14-15 y.o., the non-native speakers wouldn't have been up to a standard to tackle that level of English.

The native speakers also had to do the curriculum English which seemed a bit pointless but, hey, was an giveaway 6 on the report card.

My son had to do one of the Cambridge exams (minimum level first certificate) in order to get the credits in English for his BSc at university here.

He didn’t see much point in just doing the First so he went for the Proficiency exam and aced it. His speaking partner in the oral exam was another native English speaker from Fribourg so I’m guessing that is no longer a thing.

My daughter has a degree in German and French. It was insufficient to study to become a secondary teacher. She needed to have masters for that.

To become a primary school teacher required 3 years of study and practice. The degree exempted her from some modules.

However as pointed out, there is a teaching shortage so individual schools may take on someone not fully qualified.

My neighbor told me he teaches History, Geography and a few other topics in secondary school.

In my home country, you would need a 4 years degree for each of these subjects, so it's not common for a person to cover more than one. Looks like here the situation is different?

The requirements and number or subjects taught are very different depending on several factors:

The canton

Primary, Sek or Gymi

Private or not

I know of several cases where a shortage led to someone with good knowledge of the subject being asked to teach.

However, my friend wants to teach in State Edu, not private, and with the proper qualifications, so she can build a career, and a pension too. It's clear her UK Degree in Linguistics would not be sufficient. She speaks fluent French too.

My son had several teachers who taught multiple subjects in secondary school.

One taught history, geography and french, another taught French, German and music, yet another taught maths, IT and all the sciences.

The sports teachers all taught multiple subjects.

It has always been compulsory for PE teachers to teach another subject, at least in NE.

In the UK, BEd courses always include 2 subjects- I did 3 for mine.

The requirements for Sek 1 ( Grades 7-9) and Sek 2 ( Gymnase) are different. For Sek 1 you need a teaching degree and you study at least three subjects. It takes 5 years. The linguistics degree might give your friend a few credits towards the degree, but probably not much.

For Sek2 an MA in a subject is needed plus 1-2 years Education degree.

Best to ask the teachers college directly how much of the linguistics degree they would recognize.