Importing a New or Used car from the UK to CH

Greetings everyone,

I hope this message finds you well. I’m in the process of researching the importation of a car from the UK to Switzerland, and I apologize if this topic has already been discussed elsewhere. I’ve encountered some challenges in locating specific information, so I’m reaching out to this community for guidance.

To provide a bit of context, I’m an Irish national planning to return to Ireland next year and intend to bring the car with me as part of my personal belongings. To circumvent the high vehicle registration tax associated with importing directly from the UK to Ireland, I’m considering importing the car first to Switzerland and later transporting it to Ireland. For the interim, I don’t mind driving a right-hand drive (RHD) car in Switzerland, and I’m aware that I may need to adjust the headlights to comply with MFK standards. I understand that many newer cars have the option to modify this setting. Additionally, I hold a B-Permit.

I’m eager to hear from anyone who has experience with this process and can share insights into the necessary steps for successfully importing a car to Switzerland.

While I have found some information on the official website ( https://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg/en/ho…es–cars-.html ), certain aspects remain unclear to me.

From the above-mentioned website, I’ve gathered that the following is required:

1. Customs Declaration and Custom Duties:
    • Invoice and/or contract of sale
    • Vehicle/vessel registration document and/or registration certificate (even if already cancelled)
    • Proof of identity (passport, identity card)
    • Import customs declaration (e-dec declaration)
    • Proof of origin from seller if available
    • For Passenger vehicles you need to pay: CHF 12 to CHF 15 per 100kg unladen
  2. VAT at 7.7%
  3. Automobile Tax of 4%
  4. CO2 penalty tax

My questions are as follows:

1. Does the CO2 tax apply universally to all cars, or is it specifically limited to new cars with an age of less than 6 months?
  2. Is there any further steps to what is mentioned above?
  3. How did you manage insurance during the whole process?
  4. Has anyone here exported a VAT qualifying car from the UK? Do you pay the VAT then try claim it back or should the seller sell you the car minus the VAT amount?

I’d really appreciate if somebody has a step-by-step guide on the whole process.

Thank you in advance for your assistance, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Anyone have any info on this?

Hi,

In a different boat than you, but from my understanding you will return next year to Ireland and you need the car here just for 1 year + ? If this is correct and you are "new" here :

You can import you RHD car without any issues. I did this, no MFK appointment was needed. You can use the insurance from Ireland for the following year.

I have imported a car in 2021 (from Germany though) on my own, answers:

1. My car was ~1 year old at the time - there was NO co2 tax to pay

2. My process was as follows (again, that was in 2021):

- Get export prepared on German side (customs forms etc, dealer selling assisted with this)

- Get export plates (dealer assisted with this)

- Drive to CH, stop at the German border and notify about export from EU (basically they literally just scanned form I had from German Zoll agency - from point 1 - this allowed me to get VAT back)

- Stop on Swiss border, get the VAT / TAX 'delayed payment' form - it was late in the evening - cannot remember form number

- Go to nearest 'border point' in CH ( I went to Embrach as there is a customs port there), paid VAT + import / car TAX (I didn't do anything online, nor did I involve any spedition agent - customs agent did it all for me and they charged something around 50 chf for that)

- Got a 'MFK' form from customs, with that I booked MFK

- After car passed MFK I was given swiss plates at the Verkehrsamt - same place basically (and I adjusted my insurance before)

And that's it.

Hi Alex,

Yes correct, I envisage that I will use the car here for approximately 1 year then move back to Ireland with the car. So is MFK not necessary ? I think I will at least need to register the car in Switzerland so that I can move the car home to Ireland as part of my personal belongings and avoid the import duty in Ireland?

Thanks

Thanks for the info

MFK is required to register it.

Tom

Read the terms and conditions for a household move to Ireland/into the EU. At least for moving to Switzerland this would not be necessary (at least I think it isn’t).

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/in…nce/index.aspx