Made in Switzerland

Are the word "Made in Switzerland" trademarked?

Could I have something made in China, with the words "Made in Switzerland" stamped on it?

I ask not because I want to, but because I want to protect my market here against cheap imports?

Anybody know??

Every time i see questions like this I wonder to myself how someone can be capable of running a successful business if they seemingly lack the ability to do the most basic of research to a common question. This came up with a 2 second google https://www.kmu.admin.ch/kmu/en/home…swissness.html

Go crazy and read some links for an hour or two… https://www.google.com/search?q=made…t=gws-wiz-serp

Chuff went a bit hard, but resourcefulness may be a thing required to make a new business work

Back to the question…a practical example of the “Made in Switzerland” regulations is the case of Toblerone. 1 production site in Bern, another production site in Slovakia.

Toblerones from Bern will have the label “Made in Switzerland”, the others won’t.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/busines…-bars/48330818

But the Bern product should be labelled “Made in Switzerland by a US company”.

"Made in Switzerland" is not a trade mark to start with and this is not how to protect a product. Go get proper legal advice.

Don't expect consistency, coherency or any logic on "Made in Switzerland" label rules. Their only purpose is to protect (a bit) local manufacture from global competition.

For example, "Made in Switzerland" chocolates is that milk MUST be produced locally. In contrast, the Swiss production of cocoa beans is 0 (ZERO) kg per year, so look the other way, and conveniently forget about the origin of the main ingredient in chocolate.

As Chuff suggested, the best is to read the regulations and use them in your favor. Don't waste time trying to think if they make sense or not.

Where's your market, what's your product?

Made in CH won't have much value domestically, least of all on a no-name product costing 20 Rappen. Different properties might be a better USP, e.g. the absence of child labor for clothes.

It was an open question I posed to a group one of whom may be a lawyer or at least a retired one. Asking Google for authoritative advice on almost anything is gambling. Case in hand a diagnosis for that pain in your leg. Google it and before you know it you have terminal cancer.

That said, this is the internet and I am a lawyer, believe it or not.

I have an idea for a product part of which would be the added value it was made in Switzerland; the receiver of said "gift", is proud of the fact that he/she got this "thing" in Switzerland. But some of the parties I might sell the idea to may decide to simply take the concept and outsource its manufacture to Asia shall we say. That was the reason for the question. I am not in a legal dispute, I would hire a lawyer if I was. Just curious having read an article the other day about the relabling of garments in the UK.

People are starting to care about where things are manufactured because it carries with it not only business concerns but also political and environmental prices.

On a personal level a minor example, when I go into the shop and buy eggs, not only do I look for free range perhaps, but I also look for eggs sourced locally, in my case Vaud.

It's different for luxury goods though where "Made in Switzerland" allows retailers to give a massive mark up as customers are willing to pay for that.

The Swiss Flag is also a Trademark along with "Made in Switzerland".

The Swiss Trademark laws were changed in 2013 to accommodate the strict rules regarding the flag and wording.

Interesting, ON shoes, the Swiss sports footwear success story only puts a Swiss flag on the shoes sold abroad.

It is not allowed to do so in Switzerland as the shoes are made in Vietnam where a top-of-the-range pair can cost CHF20 to make there but sell for CHF440 here.

No it’s not a gamble to Google when those links on specific topics like this lead to for example official Swiss admin pages on the topic. It makes sense to spend a little time reading the top links because as a lawyer you should be able to do basic research for very specific topics like this.

Not even remotely the same context.

I am sure there are many registered lawyers in the world with varying degrees of capability.

You don’t need to be ‘in a legal dispute’ to hire a lawyer to give you advice on complex legal topics, as a lawyer you must know that… right? The link I provided to the Swiss Admin website, which I was able to google in seconds, tells you in detail what is required to be classed as “made in Switzerland”. Here https://www.kmu.admin.ch/kmu/en/home…swissness.html and here https://www.ige.ch/en/protecting-you…rmining-origin

The fact you are unable to find that level of basic official info on your own intiative is… telling.

Chuff,

I groaned at you but changed my mind. The medical example isn't so different assuming you use your common sense and read the URL of the site that your picking up the data from.

The NHS in the UK for example publish advisory medical information and have duty of care in that regard.

But, no I had no idea they had strengthened the laws such that a company like Swiss Quote needs be extra careful.

You can surely imagine Swiss Quote getting taken over by a Chinese investor who having looked at the books and staffing decides to take a more active role in running the company.

He decided to outsource part of the IT infrastructure and HR, making himself the CEO, even if he is technically resident in Shanghai, China. He owns the company after all.

But wait, can Swiss Quote still call themselves that, because they now being at least partly run out of China and the law you just quoted says they need to be run locally, as in out of Switzerland.

Not sure how official it is, but Ive noticed variations of "Swiss Design" on products. Designed in Switzerland, made elsewhere.