Retention of resident B permit for Student

My daughter wants to go study in the UK next year. We are South African and has been staying in CH on a Resident B permit.

I would be grateful for any advice on what we should let the Gemeinde know and whether someone has personal experience regarding if it will be possible for her to retain her B permint. Her permanent domicile will be in Switzerland and she will still be financially dependent on us. Thanks in Advance!

One of the deciding factors for a Swiss permit is “centrepoint of life”. This is where one’s important documents are, one’s clothes for the other season, the dentist and doctor, one’s school-friends, the sentimental things of childhood, one’s memories, one’s book collection, the networks of participation in society, and the place to which one always returns.

It sounds to me that your daughter’s centrepoint would still be with you. She will merely take a few suitcases with her for her visit to the UK, and will return home during her term vacations. In that case, her domicile - and therefore also her permit - remains the same as now. She would retain her B permit.

The only potential down side to this is that you’ll need to continue to pay her medical insurance premiums, because this is compulsory for all residents. The positive side of that, though, is that she can continue to get all her medical treatment here, she’ll be safely covered. You’d need to check how medical care would work while she’s in the UK.

You might also find this thread, on a similar topic, useful:
Permit for Child studying overseas…-overseas.html

Thank you! This makes sense to me. We have already investigated options in order for us to retain her health insurance and have her covered whilst in the UK.

Unlikely as she'd have to begin the study at age 18 at the latest.

I think turning 18 is not the deciding factor as long as she continues to have her home and centrepoint with her parents in Switzerland. Many students do just that, and simply travel away for the semester and return home during vacations. In that case, as I have seen it, they continue on with the same permit they already had.

The cases I saw go horribly wrong were where the young adult, as you say turned 18, and then - foolishly - de-registered from their Swiss address. In that case, they no longer live here, don't have a home here, nor an address, don't have Swiss medical insurance (which, after all, is for residents only), possibly cannot retain their bank account, and don't pay tax here.

Later, things went well while they were merely on holiday visiting their parents during semester breaks. They entered as tourists. But when their studies were over, and they wanted to return to live with their parents and be with their friends, they learned that they'd have to start their own, new, independent permit application. That proved impossible as they had nothing much (no working experience, no niche skills, etc.) to offer Switzerland and their application was denied. The family was then split up across two different countries, although that was the last thing any of them had ever wanted.

As long as she stays registered, pays health insurance and comes back in the holidays, it should be fine.



Here’s Zürich on the issue , translated as usual by Deepl. This will be the same elsewhere as residence is governed by federal law.

That's very interesting. It is the list of requirements for minor children and adolescents . And for those, the cut-off point seems to be 4 years abroad , during which only vacations are spent with the parents.

Urs Max, do you know whether there's a similar list for those who are over 18 ?

Presumably, OP's daughter, even if under 18 when she first leaves, will turn 18 during her studies. OP, is this right?

Why would there be? At age 18 you become an adult and your own master, and thus your own responsibility entirely.

The obligation to finance the primary education is a matter between the three, parents and child, a private/civil issue. This is none of the state's concern.

Parents are financially responsible until 26, or when they have completed university or apprenticeship.


Yes. In fact, until they have completed their first eduction. According to the Beobachter, (16th February 2023) this can even extend beyond the 25th birthday.…n-zahlen-15056

It is for this reason, too, that a young person can still maintain their centrepoint of life with their parents, after turning 18.

As already noted, the obligation to finance the first education is a matter between the three only, it has no relevance to the residence permit. The 18yr limit would still apply if OP's child had the means to finance the study abroad.

Where the center of life is, has nothing to do with how the education (if any) is financed, nor with the child's financial situation in general. BTDTGTT.