Switzerland violated human rights

1 Like

This just popped up on my feed, too. My first thought was, when over 2000 Swiss grandmas decide to band together to win a case, you’d better not stand in the way… :laughing:

Never mind fannying about gluing yourself to the motorway, go straight for the naughty boys in the European courts.

1 Like

This case was confusing for me. Why ‘old swiss women’ surely old people are the ones who will be least affected as they’ll be dead by the time major impacts from climate change arrives?

Shows that the European court of human rights apparently has nothing better to do… and is biaised.

1 Like

Very very strange people. Their website here and their FAQ here.

Their issue is the emission reduction targets such as 60% of emission reductions by 2030 in Switzerland, a net negative Switzerland considering investments abroad, net zero emissions by 2050 with measures in CH, and work towards a max 1.5°C average temp increase.

All good, but Switzerland is not a dictatorship. Measures and strategies in energy policy are voted by the people. The people voted for no more nuclear and the Niederamt NPP was killed during feasibility study phase. If someone is nostalgic, there was even a terrorism attack (car bomb) to protest the Kaiseraugst NPP back in the 1970s. These days, wind turbine projects are cancelled after people vote NO for them. Solar is deemed ugly in the Alps. Only positive development in recent years is small hydro power but this is not going to change significantly emissions at country level.

So, the people is basically against energy sources with lower CO2 emissions, what can the government by itself do without the support of the people?

1 Like

There’s a bit more context here.

Since only people with legal standing can sue, we have formed the Climate Seniors Association. Why an association? Because that way the legal proceedings do not depend on individual persons. Why female seniors? Because older women are particularly susceptible to intense and frequent heat waves. Obviously, we are aware that older men, people with diseases as well as small children also suffer from heat waves and other climate effects. By focusing on the proven particular susceptibility of us older women we are simply enhancing our lawsuit’s chances of success which is ultimately good for everyone.

My guess is that their legal position would have been weakened if they were speaking for people that weren’t “old ladies”.

1 Like

Sound all rather opaque.

5 Likes

What???

1 Like

:rofl:

I don’t know, I’m not (that) old. Sweaty cleavage and thigh chafing maybe?

Is that something exclusive to old Swiss women?

1 Like

From Nature Medicine, summer of '22:

Overall, we estimated 114 (95% CI = 69–160) heat-related deaths per million in Europe during the summer, with 145 (95% CI = 89–192) female and 93 (95% CI = 63–120) male deaths per million (Table 1). The heat-related mortality rate also steeply increased with age, with 16 (95% CI = 4–27), 160 (95% CI = 12–302) and 1,684 (95% CI = 1,261–2,080) deaths per million in the age groups 0–64, 65–79 and 80+ years, respectively (Table 2).

2 Likes

Sweaty cleavage? I confirm I’ve experienced this with younger non-Swiss women :slight_smile:

So was not anticipating and preparing for Covid then also a human rights violation?

On the bright side, at least they did not express their frustration by spilling tomato soup on paintings in Kunsthaus.

2 Likes

I think they have naughty girls there too… :face_with_hand_over_mouth: In fact the law and particularly the judicial power/judge areas is full of wimin to my knowledge. Where women score poorly in terms of representation is prosecution i.e. the dirty work. :wink:

This made me giggle though:

suffer health attacks during heatwaves in Switzerland.

Perhaps the seniors want to travel abroad because let’s be honest…heatwaves in Switzerland? :joy: All is relative, I know.

1 Like

Bob the Builder?

Bob the builder doesn’t have time and money to sue anyone for not tackling climate change…:wink:
In this light this “victory” seems a tad ridiculous. But hey ho, good for them.

I wonder whether those older Swiss women were doing their bit?

Were their homes being heated to the standard Swiss old peoples’ furnace hot?
Did they vote “Yes” to nuclear power?

1 Like

Now that’s an efficient way to protest…not. :slight_smile: I think though younger protesters have a higher propensity for this sort of things. They go heavily for symbols and tabus…

Article 2 - Right to life

1. Everyone has the right to life
  2. No one shall be condemned to the death penalty, or executed.

Text:

1. Paragraph 1 of this Article is based on the first sentence of Article 2(1) of the ECHR, which reads as follows:
    “1. Everyone’s right to life shall be protected by law?”

2. The second sentence of the provision, which referred to the death penalty, was superseded by the entry into force of Article 1 of Protocol No 6 to the ECHR, which reads as follows:
    “The death penalty shall be abolished. No-one shall be condemned to such penalty or executed.” Article 2(2) of the Charter is based on that provision.

3. The provisions of Article 2 of the Charter correspond to those of the above Articles of the ECHR and its Protocol. They have the same meaning and the same scope, in accordance with Article 52(3) of the Charter. Therefore, the “negative” definitions appearing in the ECHR must be regarded as also forming part of the Charter:

(a) Article 2(2) of the ECHR:

"Deprivation of life shall not be regarded as inflicted in contravention of this article when it results from the use of force which is no more than absolutely necessary:
(a) in defence of any person from unlawful violence;
(b) in order to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully detained;
(c) in action lawfully taken for the purpose of quelling a riot or insurrection."

(b) Article 2 of Protocol No 6 to the ECHR:

“A State may make provision in its law for the death penalty in respect of acts committed in time of war or of imminent threat of war; such penalty shall be applied only in the instances laid down in the law and in accordance with its provisions …”

Source:

Official Journal of the European Union C 303/17 - 14.12.2007

Preamble - Explanations relating to the Charter of Fundamental Rights:

These explanations were originally prepared under the authority of the Praesidium of the Convention which drafted the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union. Although they do not as such have the status of law, they are a valuable tool of interpretation intended to clarify the provisions of the Charter.

The fact that these provisions designed to protect people from arbitrary killings are now being leveraged to encompass climate change shows what a joke the ECHR is.

1 Like