transition from student B to normal B

Hey folks,

Currently I am finishing my PhD in Switzerland. My current working contract with university would end in the end of April. Therefore, the expiration date on my student B permit is also the end of April .

Since I will have my PhD defense in the end of this month and I have already gotten a job in Switzerland (starting in March), I plan to terminate the contract with university in the end of Feb , which is 2 months earlier than it was planned.

Unfortunately, the visa application from the company might have some delay, I might not be also to get the new permit before March 1st.

Here are my questions:

(1) If I terminate the working contract with the university in the end of Feb and can not get the new visa before March 1st, will there be any issue given that the expiration date on my student B permit is end of April?(a bit grey zone I guess) Or it’s better for me to apply job searching L permit now, just in case?

(2) If I decide to apply for job searching L permit, would it result in the interruption of ‘continuous B permit for 5 yrs’ when applying early C permit later? (In this case: 4.5 yrs on student B —> L job searching permit —> 2 yrs normal B)

Thanks in advance

  1. I don’t think you can legally start working until your new work permit is approved, even if you already signed a contract starting March 1. That is, unless your academic B permit allows a full-time side job (I heard they usually permit like 20 hours/w).
  2. No, it wouldn’t cause an interruption (see here , 3.5.3.2, bottom of page 68), though the days or months spent on this L permit will not be counted towards the 5 years.

So I’d definitely recommend getting an L permit for job search first (even though, again, you cannot actually start working while on it, you need to get a proper work permit first).

Hi thanks for the answer

Sorry perhaps I didn’t explain well. What I meant is: I terminate the contract with the university. And I just stay unemployment with student B permit until I get the new visa from the new job.

Are you from the EU?

non-EU

Then watch out as often, as soon as your work ends, your permit ends.

hey there! as non-EU, you need to wait until you have the new permit through your job to be able to work - there's no way around it.

I am unsure if you can wriggle out of the PhD-related contract with such ease. remember that as soon as you do, if you do, the B permit related to your PhD becomes void since your permit is based on the PhD. so if you do terminate the PhD contract before you receive the new permit through the new job, you will be without a permit. keep that in mind.

you wrote you already have a job aligned starting March - can I ask: based on what permit? if you're non EU, the job should get a permit for you, have they done that?