British Passport: Stamping within the Schengen zone

Can anyone explain why the experience is so haphazard when you travel on a British passport (or other third country) + Swiss Residence Permit?

Its my understanding that my residence permit covers me to travel within Schengen without restriction, and as long as I show it together with my passport it should not be stamped. I’ve travelled to a number of Schengen countries and my passport hasn’t been stamped on arrival if I show my permit. However when transiting through Madrid and Amsterdam yesterday (catching a connecting flight from the US) the passport was stamped on entry and exit even though I presented my permit.

It could also be that I don’t return via the same airport, in which case there is an open entry into Schengen but not an exit from it… so I would be violating the 90 day rule?!? :open_mouth:

I assume there is some massive Schengen database that logs people’s movements to make sure they don’t overstay.

2 Likes

Welcome to the club!

As 3rd country furriner I’ve been getting my passport stamped when I enter or leave Schengen for the last 10 years.

1 Like

Switzerland belongs to the Schengen Area so you are always violating the 90 day rule :wink:

Don’t you find that its inconsistent? e.g. when I travelled to Denmark my passport wasn’t stamped but it was in Netherlands and Spain. And whenever I drive to Germany or France they don’t stamp my passport, otherwise it wouldn’t last a year.

The only inconsistent procedure has been in Zurich airport. When it’s a direct flight from from out of Schengen to ZRH, sometimes stamp, sometimes no stamp.

But when I have a connecting flight in Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam…always stamp. It seems my next connecting flight will be Madrid. I can tell after vacations :slight_smile:

1 Like

So maybe its related to transiting through Schengen, as opposed to visiting?
Now that I think about it, that’s usually when I get the stamp i.e. when catching a connecting flight

1 Like

Travelling within Schengen there is no need to stamp, in fact you would be hard pressed to find somebody at the border crossing.

Entering or leaving Schengen third country passports need to be stamped at the point of entry/exit. There is an exception that legal non-national residents of Schengen don’t require a stamp. It appears that a couple of Schengen countries have decided to stamp, for their own reasons, or they haven’t trained their staff properly.

The 90 day rule doesn’t apply to legal non-national residents.

Before I became Swiss at Geneva they never stamped my passport in/out if I presented my permit with my passport.

2 Likes

My experience and knowledge is the same as Bowlie.
When EES becomes active, my hope/belief is things will continue that way.

My flying experience, UK to CH (direct) is a simple one IMHO.
Driving via Channel Tunnel (through France etc. etc.), has always been trouble free for me with no passport stamping (last 20+ years) and, initially at least, I’ll attempt my best to avoid going through any EES points otherwise I would end up with an “open” record of 90-day entry into Schengen/EU.

The statement “There is an exception that legal non-national residents of Schengen don’t require a stamp.

I can’t today find proof of this exact statement (for UK passports holders, with Swiss residency, travelling through EU/Schengen countries to Switzerland), only things close to it. Best reference:
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/the-eu-entry-exit-system-and-eu-travel-authorisation-system/ when it states “Non-EU citizens who are legally resident or have long-stay visas to live in an EU Member State will be exempt from EES.
I believe this statement includes Switzerland, even though not an EU Member State, and in the context of the overall article.

1 Like

In the last 2 decades, the only stamps I’ve gotten in my passport are from the UK and the US (home country). Schengen’s not interested in stamping my passport.

You were traveling between a non Schengen country to Schengen one, that is why you were stamped, whereas when you travel within the Schengen, you don’t get stamped because of the open borders policy.

As a mexican citizen, I’ve always been stamped when going out of and into the Schengen zone, even tho I have residence permit.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure as a Non-EU that your residence permit does not give you unlimited time in Schengen. You are still limited to the 90 days in Schengen excluding Switzerland, but that said it is very hard for them to enforce this.

(A friend of mine has C-permit and property in Spain, they cannot spend more the 90 days at their Spanish property).

3 Likes

And probably taxes…it’s a hazard to be identified as tax resident in Spain :laughing:

From the horse’s mouth

I have a valid long stay visa/residence permit for a country that is
part of the Schengen area. Do I need another visa to travel to other
Schengen states?
No.
A long stay visa or a residence permit issued by a Schengen State allows you to travel or stay in other Schengen States, while respecting the maximum duration of a “short stay” (a stay of “90 days in any 180 day period”).

It seems to be a technical failure in the rules as travelling from outside Schengen into another Schengen country you should get an entry stamp but when you later enter Switzerland without having left Schengen in the interim then you have not left Schengen so you usually do not get an exit Schengen stamp.

4 Likes

Thank you!! :slight_smile:

Ive been thinking the same thing, wondering whether I need to get any special visa or similar to enable travel, even though there are no border controls.

Also wondering what happens if I fly into Italy but then travel to Switzerland, where I live with a C Permit.

As one commenter said, it’s probably a flaw in the Schengen Agreement. It is almost impossible to police, but what I was worried about was being opened up to being taken into the back room at the airport, when it appears I’ve been in the country for a whole year or similar.

If anyone sees something official written down about this, I’d love to see it.

One of the many benefits of Brexit.

I will/would suggest keep a good record of your travels (within the Schengen countries) to show you’ve not broken the 90-day rule. Self-responsibility/accountability ie. "respecting the maximum duration of a “short stay” (a stay of “90 days in any 180 day period”) … ala Marton post

Interesting article with a published UPDATE today.
Reflects a lot of what has been said, and agreed, in this thread.

Key para… “If you are a citizen of a non-EU country but have residency in Switzerland, then you are not constrained by the 90-day rule when travelling in and out of Switzerland. Under the current system you show your visa or at the border and the border official should refrain from stamping your passport.

This is my own personal experience to date (UK-CH, drive and/or fly).

Can you please repost since the article is behind a paywall and I’m not prepared to pay “The Local” a single, thin dime.

Not necessary to pay, there are ways around that. So here you go:

# What the EU’s new EES passport system will mean for Switzerland

You might have seen some rather dramatic headlines about the EU ‘harvesting biometric data’ – so here’s what the EU’s new Entry and Exit System (EES) – due to come into effect in the autumn 2024 (unless it’s delayed again) – actually means if you are travelling in and out of Switzerland.

Switzerland is not a member of the EU, but it is part of the Schengen Area and will be part of the EES system, so the same travel rules apply here. In all there are 29 EU and Schengen countries which will be part of EES. Ireland and Cyprus are the only two EU member states who won’t apply the new system, but their nationals will be exempt from it when travelling.

The system has been in the works since 2013 and is due to come into effect toward the end of 2024 – although as stated it has been postponed several times before.

It has four stated aims – to improve and modernise border systems; to reinforce security and aid the fight against crime and terrorism; to help EU member states deal with increasing traveller numbers without having to increase the numbers of border staff; and to systematically identify over stayers within the Schengen area [ie people who have stayed longer than their visa or 90-day limit allowance].

The system doesn’t actually change any of the EU’s rules about travel, length of stay etc, but it will make enforcing them easier.

Where?

The EES is for the external borders of the Schengen Area – so if you are travelling within the zone, nothing will change.

But if you are entering from a non-EU country (including the UK, the US and Canada) the new system comes into play.

Who?

It applies to all non-EU citizens and non-EFTA (Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) apart from those who have temporary or permanent residency of an EU/EFTA country. Dual nationals are also exempt if they are travelling on their EU/Swiss passport.

What?

Basically, the EES changes how passports are checked at the border.

The first change is the addition of biometric data – in addition to the current details in your passport (name, DOB etc) the system will also record facial images and fingerprints of all passengers – so it will be similar to going to the USA, where foreign arrivals already have to provide fingerprints.

The second change is through recording onto the system complete details of entry and exit dates; how much of their 90-day limit (if applicable) people have used and whether they have previously been refused entry.

Exactly how this applies varies slightly depending on your circumstances.

Tourists

This is the most straightforward category and the one that will apply to the majority of travellers. For non-EU/non-EFTA tourists or those coming for a short visit little will change apart from having to give fingerprints/ facial images when they first enter Switzerland.

They will also be told how long they can stay in the Schengen Area – for visitors from non-Schengen-visa countries like the UK, USA, Canada and Australia this will be 90 days, easily long enough for most holidaymakers.

Second-home owners and other regular visitors without a visa

If you’re a regular visitor to Switzerland from a non-EU country, you will already know about the 90-day rule.

The rule itself doesn’t change, but one of the stated aims of the new system is to catch overstayers, so anyone hoping to ‘slip under the radar’ with regards to the 90-day limit should forget that idea.

Instead of the current and rather inconsistent system of passport-stamping, each entry and exit to the Schengen area is automatically logged on the system, so that border guards can see how long you have spent in the border-free zone in the preceding 180 days, and whether you have overstayed your limit.

Residents in Switzerland

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country but have residency in Switzerland, then you are not constrained by the 90-day rule when travelling in and out of Switzerland. Under the current system you show your visa or at the border and the border official should refrain from stamping your passport.

The automated system does away with passport stamping – which has become a headache for residents since it is inconsistently applied in some countries.

However, at this stage it is not clear how residency status will be linked to passports, and therefore how residents can avoid starting the 90-day ‘clock’ when they enter the EU.

The European Commission had previously told The Local that people with a visa or residency card should not use automated passport gates, but we are still attempting to get more information on this.

So how will this actually work in practice?

If you’re a tourist or short-stay visitor and you’re travelling by air you probably won’t notice much difference since many airports already have automated passport gates in place for certain travellers. In fact, the Commission says this system will be faster than the current system in place for non-EU arrivals.

If you are a resident of Switzerland, you’ll need to remember to avoid the automated passport gates and choose a manned booth so that you can show your residency card or visa along with your passport.

A new app

There has been much talk about the importance of a new app designed to help avoid delays.

The importance of having a working app was summed up by Uku Särekanno, Deputy Executive Director of the EU border agency Frontex in a recent interview.

“Initially, the challenge with the EES will come down to the fact that travellers arriving in Europe will have to have their biographic and biometric data registered in the system – border guards will have to register four of their fingerprints and their facial image. This process will take time, and every second really matters at border crossing points – nobody wants to be stuck in a lengthy queue after a long trip.”

But there is confusion around what the app will actually be able to do, if it will help avoid delays and importantly when will it be available.

This is what we know so far:

• The app will not be obligatory but used on voluntary basis
  • Traveller data will be processed in compliance with the high data security and data protection standards set by EU legislation
  • It will then generate a QR code that travellers can present at border control.

More information about the app can be found here.

Isn’t there a thread somewhere enquiring about a wishlist on forum features? I would want the ability to determine font size, or alternatively to bold plus italicise headings so they stand out more.

5 Likes

This is consistent with our shared experience:

• No stamp when entering the Schengen Zone through Switzerland with a Swiss residence permit.

• A stamp when entering the Schengen Zone through any other country but Switzerland with a Swiss residence permit.