Lausanne bin police

That’s only a problem if you are using your compost in a vegetable garden.
It’s fine for flower beds and under shrubs where enough animals do their stuff already.

We only use the litter - the faeces gets flushed down the loo. The poo should never be used in the garden.
We also have a few compost bins so the composting time is lengthy - they are used in rotation.

Good point though and worth mentioning.

Demonstrating that he is like most new directors who don’t understand the business they are runnng, he should stick to playing to his strengths and keep his fingers out of the inner workings of the machine.

1 Like

I don’t know if there is a law, but where else are you going to put it? Composting is one idea we have considered but we already have plenty of compostable waste from the house/garden we can’t cope with more.

I read recently, I think in the consumer journal, that if you put it out with the house hold paid bags you shouldn’t use the clay litter. Apparently it is the one thing the incinerators struggle to handle. We’re using wood chips which will burn, baby, burn.

Some people have been fined for putting cat litter in municipal rubbish bins, such as the shark bin.

1 Like

The shark bin contents are incinerated aren’t they? But your link reinforces the need to use organic litter.

1 Like

Apparently you shouldn’t flush the faeces down the toilet either- that’s against the law - whoops.

It should go in the household waste to be incinerated along with the litter and the litter should ideally be the organic type as that produces energy.

So all those people (probably not that many) who train their cats to climb up on to the toilet to pee are actually breaking the law too.

I was aware of the dangers of toxoplasmosis but not to that extent of the problems with it in waste water.

When my kids are called for a meal, even if they have just washed their hands before they sit down, they have a habit of going to stroke one of the cats.
I’ve always told them to go and wash their hands again.

1 Like

jinxy-cat

2 Likes

Toxoplasma is not killed by sewage treatment, to my knowledge. Most advice is to not flush cat poo…it needs heat treatment.

It’s law not to here according to the pdf abive so I won’t do it again.

Ah, I see your opening for a microwave oven here!

Is Bokashi[:japan:] part of the traditional Japanese sushi kitchen?

I’ll see myself out …


:japan:   I had to look up the Bokashi bin and was surprised that it is actually a thing. Kudos for educating me about it!

2 Likes

We had solar powered refuse bins installed along the St Alban Rheinweg in Basel a few years ago, a lot of money was spent on them. The public living there made so many complaints about them being an ugly blot on the landscape they were eventually taken away. Last I heard they’d been moved to the Kleinbasel side of the Rhein.

1 Like

I just started watching this, got flashbacks from the time I came to Switzerland :wink:

The trash tax system turned me into a vegan. I’d say that looking at the full load the price of the taxed trash bag is ok. The problem is that you can’t wait until the trash bag is full. Bio “vegan” products can be disposed free of charge every day but meat leftovers have to go with the trash. It also made me angry at first. Suddenly you have to pay 30 x 2chf instead of ~3 x 2chf a month if you cook meat dishes. In the end I am eating meat once, max twice a week, am I healthier :man_shrugging: but for sure I’m not angry anymore about the trash tax system. But the next topic of the video kind of summarizes it, meat is not a common everyday plate in Switzerland :rofl:

i’m not sure the issue here. i eat meat and we have bin collection twice a week which works fine. maybe cook only what you are going to eat to reduce food waste.

@sichuan : were you implying that non-edible parts of vegan food can be composted easily (at home or put in the free green bin), over bones and other non-edible meat parts that can not go into compost and has to go in paid trash bags?

wait, :face_exhaling: so you’re telling me I was wrong for such a long time?

AI told me

Accepted items:

Raw meat, fish, and poultry
Cooked and uncooked bones
Dairy products and egg shells
All other food scraps

huh, I really don’t remember if the rules were poorly written in the first municipality I was living, or someone actually badly explained the rules to me… so I’ve been putting the meat leftovers into standard paid trash bags, that’s why I had to throw them away reasonably frequently whether filled up or not

They way i was told - no oil, no ‘bigger’ meat / fish bones, etc. Basically stuff that hinders decomposition or takes longer to decompose.

Leftover Vege, meat cooked in oil is ok. Of course raw vegetable stuff, grains, and other edible stuff is ok.

General rule is that stuff, if you used your own compost bin, should be applicable into your own garden the following spring as compost.

I keep the plastic bags you get your veg and fruit in and put perishable leftovers in them, sometimes double-bagged if highly risky smelly stuff.

Another top tip for those whiffy containers of fresh fish - if you give them a squirt of the cheapest lemon juice you can buy (Prix Garantie or similar), it destroys the protein that gives old fish its fishy smell. I was a bit skeptical at first but it 100% kills the smell. Yes, you can wash out the container but that sheet of whatever squishy base layer in the container doesn’t wash well.

2 Likes

Accidentally had a chat about this topic in some expat circle. Did you know that EU is pushing for deposit-refund scheme on PET? This adds a lot expenses to the supply chain, special machines collection machines have to be made to collect them and print the fiscal receipts, but it seems that without any financial penalty people in general won’t bother about proper segregation.

Switzerland was ahead of the time with the taxed bags. People are saving here by properly recycling what’s possible to recycle for free. In EU people will recycle PET to get a refund.

AT uses taxed bags. We recycle the heck out of everything at the local recycle centre. AT and DE both refund PET deposits at any big store, and if you have an app for that shop (LIDL, SPAR, etc.), you simply load the refund to the app.

Swiss PET recycling exceeds 80% so not certain how thic could be much improved. Perhaps more public recycling spots - for example on rail carriages, on buses and trams it would be better if they has two bins, one for recycling.