I've been searching this forum (and in the Swiss law) where do I stand with regards to pending application for an early C permit and move. The permit has been already approved by my canton long ago, it's just the state migration office which doesn't care.
It's been over three months since my canton approved the permit and sent the papers to Bern. I was searching but I can't find if there's any time limit by the law for the response. It seems they may not move until my current B permit expires
I would like to move closer to my current work, instead of commuting over 1 hour. On the other hand I would like to get the C permit. Is it like having a cake and eat it I've found that when people apply for the Swiss red book they may move once their canton approves the application, hence I wonder if it might be the same with an application for C permit.
Plan B:
I've found an apartment in Bern to rent since September, but I was thinking of delaying the registration in Bern and moving out of my current apartment to increase the chance of getting the C permit in the mean time. I have a three months notice period. Is there any problem with that? I know that I should register as soon as I move to a new apartment, but essentially I'd like to rent the apartment from September but move up to three months later.
Risky. Especially if you're British or otherwise non-EU.
You could enquire with Morges if it's possible to keep registered in Morges as your main residence, and simultaneously registering in Bern as "WochenAufenthalter" (séjour hors domicile?). Meaning you'd live in Bern during the week and return to Morges to stay during the weekend until you have the C. I'd play with open cards.
As for giving notice for the apartment, mind the contractually accepted end dates. It's likely that your next available end date is March 31 (June 30 and Sept 30 being the other two).
I can terminate my contract each month except December, observing 3 months notice period. I can end it sooner if I find a replacement tenant, otherwise I'll end up having two apartments for the next three months. Here comes Plan B, since I will have two apartments I don't see why would I be required to register at the new place as soon as the contract starts. I'm thinking of not moving to Bern until my current contract ends.
In ideal situation I would ask for the beginning of the new contract to match the end of the current one, but I guess that's not possible. Resigning from current apartment without having a new contract seems very risky. Why is it accepted to keep an old apartment not living in it, because of observing the notice period, but not the new one? Maybe I'm missing something else? Maybe I'll have to return the old apartment as soon as my new contract starts paying for the "unused" months?
Anyway, back to the topic, I wonder if it makes sense to try to call the migration office. Hopefully that won't do more damage than good.
Have you followed up with the municipality? Maybe your file is sitting on a desk somewhere and someone forgot to update it. Summer holidays and all.
But otherwise, feel free to contact SEM. They're not THAT scary. Ask whether they need any additional information from you. That way you're not chasing them for something, you're offering to provide info if they need it.
Don’t even bank on that, my friends permit expired in April and she still hasn’t got a new one. Better to stay in your current canton until it comes through.
Actually, anyone can confirm that I understand it right?
In English
I think that I can cancel the contract every month, with notice period starting next month, except December. However the contract can end in December.
As you guess, I'm stepping away from the offer of the flat I've found, so obviously now i don't want to resign from current flat either but I'm nervous a bit that I might end up having two rents for longer than I thought if I won't time it well... unless I completely surrender and stay where I am till the dust settles (till next year...)