Ref : Basic Knowledge Test Requirement for Naturalization ( Study in Swiss )

Hello EF,
Good Afternoon.
Opinions from anyone who has come across a similar situation will be highly appreciated.
This year I have my Naturalization Interview. As per the website, it says the following (Pasted Below). This implies anyone who has studied in Swiss may not be needed to appear for the test. The fact is I have completed my International Executive MBA from the University of St Gallen. In that case, do I need to appear for the basic knowledge test?
" https://www.zh.ch/de/migration-integ…ntnistest.html
Neues Gesetz seit Juli 2023:
Seit Juli 2023 gibt es im Kanton Zürich ein neues Gesetz für die Einbürgerung. Wenn Sie das Gesuch vor Juli 2023 eingereicht haben, müssen Sie in folgenden Situationen keinen Test machen:

Sie waren 5 Jahre in einer obligatorischen Schule in der Schweiz.
Sie haben eine Lehre oder das Gymnasium in der Schweiz gemacht.
Sie haben ein Studium in der Schweiz gemacht."

Probably yes but why not check at your local city hall?

Also you studied in Switzerland, not Swiss. The people are Swiss, the country is Switzerland.

Probably something important to get right if you're intending to become a citizen. Although of course you won't be interviewed in English.

Of course, it will be in German

OP, in that link, there's a checker: scroll down to "Muss ich einen Grundkenntnistest machen?". What result did that give, for you?

Isn't the country officially the Swiss Confederation?

Confederation Helvetica to be precise.

but in what language?

From what I know, the official names are:

English - Swiss Confederation

German - Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft

French - Confédération suisse

Romansch - Confederaziun svizra

Italian - Confederazione Elvetica

Latin - Confœderatio Helvetica

Which would make "Swiss" as an abbreviation of the Swiss Confederation as accurate as shortening the United States of America to "America"...

He has a point though, you are just quoting another name.

Swiss is not the name of the country though. I‘d think someone who wants the passport should know?

For brevity CH is well understood by everyone here despite being Latin.

That's not the name in any language

Careful who you trust. Wiki for instance is usually great for an overview but can be totally useless, outright wrong even, for intricacies.

Why would there be an official English name when it's not an (Amtssprache) official language?

Confoederatio Helvetica

Like Grossbritannien is the official name of Britain in Switzerland?

I just had a quick look, and it seems that in international treaties written in English, Switzerland is referred to as the Swiss Confederation.

I expect you are exempt if you have studied in Switzerland in a national language. If your MBA was in English, I'd be very surprised if that counts.

I would expect the literal translation for the formal full name, Vereinigtes Königreich Grossbritannien und Nordirland. Usage is Vereinigtes Königreich and UK on the pages related to Brexit (search for mind the gap). I'd also expect Grossbritannien among the short forms. England wouldn't surprise me (just like Holland is also used for the Netherlands).

You're right, there *is* a reason for an official name in English. At least a semi-official one.

It’s Grande Bretagne or Royaume Uni where I live in Switzerland.

Everyone here just calls it Inglaterra.

Tom

Inghilterra usually