Smoke-free SBB stations: a public-health petition

Hello everyone,

I am a Swiss citizen living in Aargau and organise the independent petition “Rauchfreie SBB-Bahnhöfe – für alle”. It asks the Federal Assembly and Federal Council for a comprehensive smoking and vaping ban across SBB station premises, including outdoor platforms, with effective enforcement.

I value public transport and want everyone to use it without avoidable exposure to tobacco smoke, particularly children and people with asthma.

The health concern is well documented. The Swiss Federal Office of Public Health (BAG) states that even short exposure to secondhand smoke irritates the airways and that children are particularly vulnerable. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explains that secondhand smoke can trigger asthma attacks in children.

My concern is that smoke can drift beyond designated areas, while passengers waiting or boarding cannot always move away. The petition also addresses cigarette-butt litter on platforms and tracks.

This proposal concerns shared station premises—not a general outdoor smoking ban. It is an independent citizens’ initiative, with no commercial purpose.

Please read the petition and its supporting sources. If you agree with its aims, a signature or share would be appreciated.

Signed!

The best way to combat second-hand smoke is to provide *SuperSoakers at every railway station. The problem would resolve itself overnight…

*Tongue-in-cheek - don’t try this at home, kids.

I will sign. I would like it to include all public transit stops, for the same reasons.

Is a Change (dot) org petition going to get the attention of Swiss politicians.

Yes, it’s a change.org petition, no idea why the automated website snip was not created by the forum software.

I hate them.

It should be a ban in all public transport waiting areas-tram bus train.

of course not. swiss politicians sit around on their fat arse doing nothing.

Not as much as the tobacco companies are currently giving them.