Time to drop the shutter on windows

Perhaps it is also time to ditch Android?

1 Like

Besides iOS and Android, what other choices are there?

On a side note, i cam happily proclaim replacing MS Office (365) with LibreOffice, eM mail client has gone well. I’m happy. A bit of a learning curve with LibreOffice…

Next laptop will have linux variant on it …

Need the bitlocker password on my dell laptop. How do i get it?

Ask Lumo. Lumo: Privacy-first AI assistant where chats stay confidential

2 Likes

There are actually quite a few

https://alternativeto.net/software/android/

1 Like

It’s not about Android, but G. LineageOS will continue working as usual, also other custom implementations.

The question how much of use are they remains open.

I started to hate the way this is going. Providers are switching to require 2FA, that’s fine, they offer app as an 2FA, why not, but they not allow you to have more than one of the apps nor install it where you want (custom mobile OS), that’s not fine! I’m switching off of stupid providers doing this. I don’t want to be cut off from the services the moment my daily phone gets smashed or stolen. A simple backup phone at home with all the 2FA apps is a must have or I don’t agree to use such 2FA.

Especially with banks and credit cards. The moment I can’t go online anymore on a normal PC is when I make my exit.

App only is no-go for me too, but watch out for the annoying trend of getting access via accredited app only. Apple + Google are locking the verification essentially to their approved devices. They do not enforce “only one app per customer” though, they only provide the option. It’s the stupid choice of many app vendors.

PS. GrapheneOS is very active with their campaign about this topic. They indirectly claim that soon we’ll see more and more of the web locked behind “scan the qr with your smartphone to get access” and that will only work in stock Apple or Google phone.

I moved to SoftMaker FreeOffice a year or three back. Was the only one, last time I looked) of the now-many Word substitutes that had a proper global search and replace including special characters. I’ve always found that a useful feature, for example when reformatting music and lyrics copied from an online source.

(For example I might want to change multi-spaced documents, so can do a global search and replace for two successive paragraph marks, to remove one, then just click the button a couple of times until they’re all gone.)

Also in general I much prefer tools that do not assume, or try to force you, to ‘cloud’ storage. Struggling with this with a recently-acquired GoPro; I’d love it to automatically sync with my phone or laptop, but all the App functionality is designed to go via their own, subcription-only (I think) servers. No thank you, I do not want copies of every video or photo I take to be anywhere outside of my own control.

Android is a Linux, but you give away your root password.$

Don’t know when, don’t know where, don’t know how but… we will meet again.

cool. thank you. i’ll have to look into it.

i like a number of features in notepad++, including the ability to ‘grep’ across, even, multiple files.

Flashback to work times… I used to do all sorts of the unix scripting stuff, embedding greps and pipes and gawd-nose-what within Posix scripts to control our validated clinical trials analysis environment.

Did it for years, hated it, used to dream about the good old days on IBM using REXX (and CList before that). Happy days.

try poweshell. never yet seen anything so verbose and chatty. unix vs MS ‘scripting’ is like RISC vs CISC. LOL

ssh “your-favorita-phone”

Install whatever that needs.

But you still need the fucking password. Who will finally post the Android-bullshit-one that we accept when we buy that Linux computer.

These days, there are things like multi-factor, mutual authentication etc. etc. along with role based access and privs (RBAC). root permission is no longer needed/required like they used to be. nowadays, permissions and privs are much more granular.

Why would one need to ‘ssh android-phone’?

Because it is mine and I need a big screen to do my hacking. My computer, even if it is only a phone. Mine and somebody else got root?

1 Like

because malware can, where I can’t. It’s a big lie that the locked down smartphones are safe, nothing further from the truth, malware runs on them for months without your knowledge because you can’t even inspect the system

1 Like