What are you watching?

Just inhaled the first two episodes of Shogun. Very close to the 1980ties original but a bit more 2024´s blood guts and thunder. And you get to see boobs.
So now I got something to look forward to on Tuesdays.

2 Likes

Watching Loudermilk (Netflix) and Life in pieces (Disney). Both quite entertaining and easy to watch after a day’s work!

The Goldbergs. Currently on season 8.

I need fun and easy to watch series in the evening, and it totally fits my bill!

1 Like

The birds enjoying the early spring and scarfing down the bird food we leave out.

2 Likes

Slammer-san, that is amazing. I loved the book. The old TV series was a bit meh. Would love to check the new one. And the boobs.

Where is this on? I am getting confused with all the streaming channels.

I binge watched Criminal Record on Apple TV+ last week. The ending made me think about Peter Capaldi’s character tbh.

This week I’ve had a binge on Rick Stein’s Food Stories.

Hulu. Or in my case, torrents. Watched episode 1, episode 2 is my tonights treat. Very well done, so far.

Just watched the first episode - pretty decent. I never saw the old series with Richard Chamberlain but did read the book too.

I have been watching True Detective (series 4) always loved the first series. Season 4 is with Jodie Foster. It’s very scandi noir-esque. Worth a watch

It´s on Disney, that is what is so annoying with streaming. I don´t have a telly, havn´t had one for the last quarter of a century and recently I was “treated” to a TV evening but after a half hour of commercials with a bit of actual program I zoned out. So streaming is my to-go entertainment. But, Startrek is on one channel, Starwars on another and Netflx has one or two things I like.
By the way do you still remember one or two phrases from the eighties Shogun?
Hai, wakaremasu Toronaga san!
Iye.
Konnichi wa?
Domo.
Probably one or two more.

I really enjoyed season 4 of True Detectives. I’ve heard this term before:

What makes a show scandi-noir?

I finished season 2 of The Bear and liked it enough to kindle the book “Unreasonable Hospitality” that was being read by one of the characters. I’m really looking forward to seeing where the show goes in season 3.

I hear you regarding streaming. It is so annoying.

I am actually reading “Noble House” again right now. There also was an 80s series of it, with Pierce Brosnan, that I never watched. James Clavell’s Asia books are all great. “Shogun” was the first I read and I think I remember mostly the book. The old series was veeeeery reduced in terms of the plot.

2 Likes

Taipan was a real page turner for me. Noble House was really neat because I recognized a lot of the places that were mentioned in the book. The Jumbo restaurant in the show was recently dragged out to sea and unceremoniously sunk.

1 Like

I think it felt that way cos of the cold /alaska setting with the dark bleak weather and short days. Also the shocking way the spoiler researchers were found in the ice.
It reminded me of Trapped (one of my fave scandi noir series) set in Iceland.

1 Like

I just googled Trapped and I now get what you mean. It uses a cold color temperature in the filming, features brooding characters, and depicts ambiguous justice.

I have just watched Death comes to Pemberley with my 91 year old Mum, who I am staying with. I enjoyed it.

Alec Guinness in Smiley’s People (following on from Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy). They’re a bit like this…

1 Like

With glee I just saw that resident alien is on Netflix.
Seen trailers of it for ages and I like Alan Tudyk’s Acting.

I’m in Scotland at the moment, watching loads of vintage stuff on Talking Pictures TV and Great TV. Cool telly from the 60s like The Avengers and Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased). It’s a blast, takes me back to being a kid again. Might watch Fireball XL5 one teatime, I love Steve Zodiak and Venus :grinning:

I’m going to watch Dune 2 in the cinema for the first cinema outing since covid. I’ve heard rave reviews - question - I’ve not seen the first one (only the David Lynch version yonks ago) it won’t be confusing for me right?

You should watch the re-make of the Dune first! But I guess if you already know the story and saw the original, then it shouldn’t be confusing.

1 Like