Has anyone had their mind changed about anything based on forum posts here or elsewhere?

Has anyone had their mind changed about anything based on forum posts here or elsewhere?
Has anyone not heeded the advice given on a forum and wish they had?

Personally, I wish I had taken that advice not to change from summer to winter tyres before the start of May a couple of weeks ago before below zero temperatures, snow and hail.

The other thing I have learnt from the forums is that although I thought I knew a lot about cooking, after seeing some other posts here, I actually know very little!

6 Likes

Yes. I didn’t believe in fish fingers. Now i do, thanks to this forum.

Having said that, we did a side by side trial and the oven backed were much drier, far less crispy than the deep fried :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say mind-changing; I’d say eye-opening. Lots of posts bring up issues I haven’t been either lucky enough, or unlucky enough, to encounter. I’m interested, for example, on how you parents are dealing with the pressures your kids encounter. I am inspired by what people are growing, making, cooking. I don’t often get to see CH political chatter, so I value posts that deliver info on that. It’s nice to have it all in one (mostly friendly) space.

4 Likes

Second this. The most recent example is the discussion we had about tips in restaurants. Did not change my mind, but at least I know other side exists.

1 Like

The old forum was pretty impactful in this sense, for example for the hint of not getting into the insurance based 3rd pillar trap or for not believing that leasing can be seen as a loan, or for tips about insurances for the child etc. I think in this sense without this knowledge sitting in an old forum we’re a bit vulnerable to make wrong choices.

1 Like

Definitely missed the memo… but I’ve learned a few things I should have known earlier. Oh well.

I’ve learnt that reason goes out of the window once ego is involved.

You mean like on the Israeli thread with you?

Great topic. I’ve not had my mind changed but I’ve learnt to be careful what I say on forums and how to say it. I do get alot and give a lot of advice back in EF days. I do take alot of advice on other platforns - mainly travel / leisure options. Mainly reviews on hotels for example.

Can’t get anything by you Tom

Well I wasn’t sure whether you meant yourself or were having a go at me on the bicycle thread.

1 Like

I’ve learned so much! Most recently that I probably shouldn’t buy a Miele washing machine, which I had intended to until reading the recent dishwasher thread.

What in the devil is this?

Someone is going around flagging all my posts so they get hidden from other users.
It has allowed people to post things about me but not allowed me to respond.

I have no idea who is doing it. I asked but although @BelgianMum said it wasn’t her, she wasn’t at liberty to tell me who it was.

This post will probably get flagged and hidden.

And I thought the “groan” button was bad…

1 Like

Not cool

1 Like

@Tom1234 asked me specifically if it was me who was doing it and I responded that it wasn’t. I don’t know who it was but I suppose I could go and have a look at the logs to find out if I wanted to.

Hopefully the wise people will join

1 Like

This was my point since the beginning of the ridiculous system with the flagging. Very much resembling the communist style, friendly neighbor who tells the secret police that you’ve been seen with a foreign book and thus you’re a threat to the beautifully fake wonderland…

Same thing was going on with some of my posts in another thread, but there it was revealed who it was and he wasn’t happy about it. Could very well be the same person again.

4 Likes

This. Flaggers are cowards and snitches.

2 Likes

I haven’t had much time for the forum since we moved. If this is going to be the modus operandi in the future, I think I’ll continue that way.

2 Likes