In Soviet Russia, Script writes you.
Just posting this in case anyone needs/wants the info. You Can Stay on Windows 10 for Free If You Do This by Oct. 14
Robbob posted that above a few weeks back. Anyone looking at the cloud option needs to keep in mind the storage limits and costs (see my post #119)
Just to clarify, as I’ve still got a semi-broken W10 laptop which serves as a backup machine , this is really only talking about continuing to be supported/updated, right? It’s not going to suddenly stop working, is it?
Correct. But without security updates the machine will be exposed to any new malware. So one will probably want to disconnect from the internet.
Yes. The wifi adaptor is buggered anyway, the ethernet port also, so it needs a physical USB phone connection to do so. And therefore if I were to need it (like I did earlier this year when my W11 machine was in for repair) I would obviously be very careful abut what I was doing, probably using the phone separately for most stuff and just manually transferring files as needed.
It is done! Just installed the latest windows 10 update. Upon restart I could enroll and join the ESU program for free. I now have security updates for another year. MS, You are the best again.
Upgraded JIT for EOL
Hilarious, but … not entirely. My whole career is about providing expertise in sustaining obsolete systems/software
![]()
Being definitely on the other side of the career slope, I even appreciate how lucky I am and I’ve always been without realizing it
Remember! You are not alone.
The good part, if the PC is not new, there’s a good chance everything will work out of the box
Is anyone else having problems with constant SSD activity for ten minutes or so at a time with Windows 11 (and nothing else happening) and everything grinding to a halt - inc. the keyboard and mouse?
This happens a few times each day and got better after a trying a few fixes but is back again.
It’s worse than when I ran OS/2 Warp with 4Mb of RAM.
My PC is no slouch either.
And I’ve turned off all the animations, start ups, search and so on.
Wow, there are still Windows users around. I stopped using it like two decades ago and even my 88 years old father has linux.
My last PC came finally without that bullshit installed. The second last had Windows on it and I wanted to give it a try, but after Windows asking the second name of my grandmother I gave up and installed linux over it.
You forgot her name?
Mine was Grace!
Assuming the mean a second Christian name and not the surname mine didn’t have one.
Did Bill Gates have one or was he born out of a demon?
What exactly are you inferring?
If he had a grandmother or not… and what for should I give that much information just to install an operating system. And then a slow one that consumes processing power for I-don’t-know-what, one like windows…
Finally I can buy computers without pre-installed Windows, so no problem for me. However, for decades shops like digitec did only sell computers with pre-installed OS.
Hardware vendors in the US charged $100 to pre-install Windows. It was like almost impossible to buy a computer without Windows pre-installed, until someone sued and won. Even then it was impossible to get the $100 back.
Have not tried it here in CH, but i imagine I would be told off as ‘this is the product. take it or leave it’ type of sales attitude?
Soonish, I’m getting on ricardo.ch, get a windows 10 machine and load unix on it. Already migrated off Office and outlook client. I’m simply hoping that my current windows 11 runs long enough till I find a lighter windows 10 laptop with US keyboard …
